As part of the rulemaking process required by Section 104(b) of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA), the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) on October 23, 2013, published the new regulation 16 CFR 1218 – Safety Standard for Bassinets and Cradles1. The final rule is based on an existing industry standard, ASTM F2194 – 13, published by ASTM International, but includes modifications that the CPSC believes necessary to address various hazards noted in existing products. A bassinet/cradle is defined in the federal regulation as a:
“Small bed designed primarily to provide sleeping accommodation for infants, supported by free standing legs, a stationary frame/stand, a wheeled base, a rocking base, or which can swing relative to a stationary base; while in a rest (non-rocking or swinging) position, a bassinet/cradle is intended to have a sleep surface less than or equal to 10° from horizontal.”
This new regulation, among other things, aims to address safety concerns associated with bassinets and cradles with the introduction of new performance requirements that assess for various hazards identified by the CPSC staff. Following are the key differences between the federal regulation (16 CFR 1218) and the voluntary standard (ASTM F 2194 – 13):
- A clarification to the scope of the bassinet/cradle standard;
- A change to the pass/fail criterion in the test to evaluate the “flatness” of segmented bassinet mattresses for potential suffocation hazards;
- An exemption from the mattress flatness requirement for bassinets that are less than 15 inches across;
- A change to the stability test procedure to use the CAMI newborn dummy instead of the CAMI infant dummy;
- An all new performance test to evaluate the stability of removable bassinet/cradle beds which may be incorrectly installed.
Bassinets and cradles manufactured on or after April 23, 2014, are required to be compliant with and certified to this new safety standard, with the exception of:
- § 1218.2(b)(3)(i) Bassinet bed
- § 1218.2(b)(3)(ii) Removable bassinet bed
- § 1218.2(b)(3)(iii) False lock/latch visual indicator
- § 1218.2(b)(3)(iv) Intended use orientation
- § 1218.2(b)(5) Removable bassinet bed attachment
- § 1218.2(b)(7) Removable bassinet bed attachment tests
The above mentioned sections shall become effective April 23, 2015.